Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dreams at the Hirshhorn, Review

According to the little pamphlet that I picked up Dreams, the current exhibit at the Hirshhorn, is a collection of artists who "employ and evoke the technology and techniques of the cinema to recall the dream-like state induced by film viewing, transporting viewers out of their daily lives to a place where definitions and understandings of reality are questioned."

First of all, let me say, if you are thinking about being transported out of your daily life on a casual sunday and are ridiculously hungover, Dreams, may not be the exhibit for you. There were moments at which I thought some of the films were more like nightmares, and I almost fell over, from well, just standing....maybe it was just me. BUT...in an normal state, this has been one of the less cohesive, but more interesting exhibits that I have been to. All of the videos definitely fit into their description above, but, in my history of museum going, I haven't thought about the placement of pieces as much as I thought about it during this one. Seeing actual images is clearly a very powerful tool, and I often left one piece wondering "hmmm....I don't really know how that was supposed to make me feel" and before I had time to ponder that thought, the dark hallways led me to a piece that evoked an entirely different emotion than whatever it was that I was feeling before. However, I must admit, the installations that I found to be interesting, I thought were really, really cool. And the others, well, no dream is run-of-the-mill.

Dreams is the first part of "Cinema Effect: Illusion, Reality and the Moving Image" and runs until May 11, 2008. The second part (which I am definitely going to check out) Realisms will run June 19, 2008 - September 7, 2008.

General Admission: ALWAYS FREE