Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Free Cab Rides Tonight

I had a lovely conversation with my cab driver last night about the strike and the zones vs. meters situation. He was very understanding when I told him of the numerous, numerous terrible experiences I’ve had with DC cabs and why I was looking forward to the meter system. Nonetheless he is striking today. For him, it is less about moving to meters but the threat it has in losing the private, small business aspect of the DC cab industry. Don’t quote me on that because I’d been out drinking for a number of hours. Anyway, since the strike is happening today, this info should be helpful. SoberRide is offering FREE taxi rides (up to $50) from 8pm to 1 am. Call 1-800-200-TAXI to get a ride. Granted, who knows how long you might have to wait for a taxi to actually come, but it’s not a bad idea to have the number with you and certainly not a bad idea to give the number a call to get an estimate on how long the wait will be.

Update: Other sources say the taxi service goes until 4am. So there.